We are hiring! Senior Backend Developers
Senior Backend Developer – Nairobi, Kenya (two positions)
Who we are
MarketForce is a fast-growing African tech startup headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, we are building the operating system for retail distribution in Africa. Powered by technology and driven by heart, our mission is to drive Africa forward by creating economic empowerment for everyone along the retail supply chain.
Our B2B marketplace app, called RejaReja (Swahili for retail) enables corner shops to source, order and pay for inventory at any time via interactive SMS and mobile app, and get it delivered directly to their store within hours. Retailers also get to act as agency banking outlets where customers can purchase services like airtime, pay their water & electricity bill and access banking & insurance services.
The impact you will make
MarketForce is looking to recruit a stellar Senior Software Engineer with strong experience in developing containerized micro-services, designing and implementing new system features, as well as modify and maintain existing systems for adaptation to business and/or technology changes. The Senior Software Engineer will engage directly with the management, product development teams, business development teams, and customers to ensure the successful design, development, and delivery of technology-based solutions.
Drive software change and release management processes, assisting with the overall maturity of the software development lifecycle. Ultimately, the top-notch Senior Software Engineer will ensure that software deliverables comply with quality standards and are completed on time.
Technical Requirements and Responsibilities
- Knowledge of applying object-oriented and functional programming styles to real-world software engineering problems.
- Experience with organizations migrating from a monolithic legacy deployment and release environment to a containerized deployment ecosystem
- Experience with Micro-services Architecture and Container Technologies (ACS, Docker, Mesos, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Demonstrable understanding of high-quality coding and testing practices.
- Leveraging deep understanding and adoption of Agile software delivery techniques and technologies including Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery (CI/CD).
- Developing solutions using a variety of technologies and tools to marry offline and cloud-based systems together.
- An appetite to learn new technologies and a drive for continual improvement.
- A keen interest in technology and self-improvement. Examples include having an active Github account or completion of relevant Coursera courses.
- Contributions to the technical community, either through blogs, internal workshops, meetups or conferences.
Reports to Chief Technology Officer
- Must ensure teams follow the correct procedures, policies and documentation requirements across project phases
- Task allocation and performance evaluation of team members
- Make presentations on project status, present weekly, monthly and annual reports to senior management
- Communicate with client teams and gather requirements, conduct regular team meetings and track project progress
- Provide an efficient working atmosphere to project teams and ensure objectives are met within a stipulated time.
Who we are looking for
- A pleasant and innovative people person, self-motivated, result oriented, proactive, quick-thinking, flexible, customer centric ,able to pivot when necessary who fosters teamwork/ collaboration and leads by example
- Willingness to adjust to changing work environments, someone who offers ideas on where improvements can be made. Works efficiently in situations of uncertainty
- Open participation in organization-wide people initiatives
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; writing, publishing and conference-level presentation skills a plus
- Preferred candidate should have a minimum of 5 years of relevant programming experience with experience in software engineering, and proof of related qualifications.
- Candidate with an understanding of the startup environment
We are looking for someone who is:
- Fluent in Python, GoLang or NodeJS
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experienced in Docker, Kubernetes
- Experienced in AWS will be considered an asset
- Has worked with OAuth2 or SAML
- Understands Microservice Design Patterns
- Has experience with caches (Redis/Memcache)
- NoSQL database (MongoDB/Cassandra/CouchDB)
What will catch our eye
- Cloud Computing Experience GCP, AWS or Azure
- Has experience with CI/CD tools such as CircleCI, Jenkins
- Kafka or AWS Kinesis
- Experience with ELK
Perks you deserve
- Encouraging and supportive founding and leadership team
- Empowerment to live a life of wellbeing and happiness
- Participation in ESOP
- Medical cover
- Competitive salary and with some allowances
- 5 vacation days’ plus, off-day on your birthday
How to Apply:
Please send your resume to email@example.com on or before Friday 24th August 2021, 5PM EAT. Clearly indicate the subject line as SENIOR BACKEND DEVELOPER.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.